Last Updated on March 1, 2023
While going on vacation, travel expenses are one of the most taxing elements of your budget. This holds true especially if you’re traveling overseas or across states, which means you need to book a flight. Airplane tickets are easily expensive if you book them on an urgent basis or you don´t know how to get cheap flight tickets, but there are ways around it.
If you considered most of the unpaid travel bloggers and influencers, how do you think they can afford to jet set across the globe without breaking the bank? Apart from carefully planning their trip, they use tips and tricks to get themselves the cheapest flight tickets for the season. Would you like to know their secrets? Read along to know all about booking flight tickets at the best possible prices!
Book ahead of time
View this post on Instagram
The price of your flight tickets may skyrocket if you try booking them less than a month before your upcoming trip. If you notice, flights may become highly expensive even in the economy section the closer you are to your travel date. The best trick you can use here is to book your tickets two months or more ahead of time. This can be practically applicable if you’re booking an annual trip with all the planning done months in advance.
Create price alerts
While looking for the cheapest flight tickets online, you’ll notice that the rates may drop or surge at specific times or days. This factor depends on the number of people searching for the same route and wanting to book tickets as well. However, there is a simple trick around this to ensure that you catch a seat at its lowest trend. Set up a price alert for your desired flight tickets on multiple platforms, or even Google.
Try exploring alternative sites
View this post on Instagram
Interestingly, you can get creative by searching for extremely cheap flight tickets. There are alternative websites on the dark web that you can explore to find vendors that deal with low-fare flights. If you’re wondering what is the dark web and how to find reliable travel deals, there are plenty of resources that can help. Despite misconceptions, people can find a lot of useful resources on this side of the internet!
Consider low-carrier airlines
The rates of flights also depend on their service and amenities. Low-carrier flights offer lesser baggage allowance, facilities, and comforts during a journey. But if it is a short trip and you don’t have too much to carry, it’s a good option. Choosing low-carrier flight tickets is relatively simple; all you need to do is search for these flights and browse for the dates where their airfare is the cheapest. This works well for flexible flight schedules.
Choose a connecting flight
View this post on Instagram
Direct and non-stop flights are much more expensive than ones with stop-overs. Instead, break your journey with a connecting flight for cheaper tickets. Usually, people would prefer direct flights, which makes connecting stops an affordable option.
Consider alternative airports
Sometimes, flying into a nearby airport or taking a connecting flight can save you money. Look for flight alternatives from airports nearby your destination.
Use miles and points
Using miles and points to find cheap flights is a great way to save money on your travel expenses. If you’re a frequent flyer or have a credit card with travel rewards, you can use your miles or points to book flights at a discounted rate.
If you are not, here are a few steps you can take to start collecting miles and points to book a cheaper flight:
- Sign up for a frequent flyer program: Many airlines have frequent flyer programs that allow you to earn miles or points for each flight you take.
- Get a credit card with travel rewards: Many credit cards offer travel rewards, such as miles or points, that can be used to book flights.
- Check your account balance: Once you have signed up for a frequent flyer program or credit card with travel rewards, check your account balance to see how many miles or points you have accumulated.
- Search for flights: Use the airline’s website or a travel booking website to search for flights. Be sure to check the prices for both cash and miles/points.
- Redeem your miles or points: Once you have found a flight that you would like to book, redeem your miles or points for the flight. Be sure to double-check the terms and conditions of the redemption, as some flights may have blackout dates or other restrictions.
- Book your flight: Once you have redeemed your miles or points, book your flight.
- Keep an eye on promotions and bonus offers: Some airlines and credit card companies offer promotions and bonus offers that can help you earn more miles or points faster, so keep an eye out for these.
Be aware of hidden costs
To avoid paying over the odds, it is important to be aware of hidden costs. Some airlines charge extra for things like baggage, seat selection, in-flight meals and beverages, priority boarding fees, and credit card fees. Depending on your destination, you may need to be careful with these extra changes too: airport fees, taxes and surcharges and travel insurance.
Be sure to factor in these additional costs when comparing flight prices.
Follow airlines announcements
Subscribe to airlines newsletter and follow them on social media, they often announce sales and promotions in advance.
Once you find your method of finding the best deals on flight tickets, it’s going to be super easy to save money! This in turn can be spent on other luxuries during the trip! If you found this blog helpful, share it with a friend who’s looking for economical flight tickets too!
You may also like:
10 Tips for Luxury Travel on a Budget
5 Tips to Get the Best Hotel Deals
The Ultimate Budget-Friendly Guide to Becoming a Master Traveller
How to Pay a Student Loan While Traveling
5 Tips to Stretch your Travel Budget
10 Affordable Holiday Destinations To Try