Mushrooms are a kind of edible fungi that primarily live by utilizing the nutrition taken from decaying flora and fauna. The popularity of mushrooms is not just because they are featured in the great fairytales of Alice in Wonderland, or ever-popular game, Super Mario Brothers. But because they bring several health benefits as proven by research. The benefits of mushrooms in your diet are as numerous as important. So make sure you include them in your healthy meals.
Some of the known advantages of using mushroom in your dishes include:
1. Helps Lower Cholesterol Levels
View this post on Instagram
From low carb mushroom soup to stir-fried mushrooms, it is no surprise that people are creating exciting recipes. Apart from being delicious, these fungi have no fat and cholesterol and a minimal amount of carbohydrates. Their fiber content and some enzymes also aid in lowering the levels of cholesterol in the body.
Additionally, when consuming mushrooms, cholesterol inside the body is burnt, thanks to its high amount of lean protein. Maintaining the appropriate balance between bad and good cholesterol within the body helps prevent various types of heart illnesses such as heart attack.
2. Provide an Excellent Source of Selenium
According to the National Institutes of Health, mushrooms contain a large amount of selenium. Preliminary research suggested that selenium offers several health benefits, including the prevention of cancer and anti-oxidant. It also has an anti-inflammatory effect and is effective in reducing heart and thyroid diseases.
3. Lower the Risk of Diabetes
Mushroom has a moderate amount of carbohydrates. It is a perfect little energy food to include in a meal that is perfect for people with diabetes, as reported by the “Function Foods in Health and Disease.” It helps diabetic patients maintain their blood glucose levels.
Furthermore, among the benefits of mushrooms, they improve the function of the liver, pancreas, and endocrine glands, which eventually helps insulin production and regulation within the body.
4. Promote Bone Health
Aside from the high amount of water and fiber, mushrooms are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and are rich in calcium. Calcium is a vital nutrient that helps build and strengthen the bones. A proper supply of this nutrient can lower the risk of developing bone illnesses such as osteoporosis. It can also relieve conditions that resulted from bone degradation, such as lack of mobility.
5. Boost Immune System
Mushrooms are rich in powerful anti-oxidant called the ergothioneine. It is an amino acid that carries sulfurs, which many people are lacking. This type of master anti-oxidant can effectively protect the body against free radicals and boost the body’s immune system.
Exciting Ways of Adding Mushroom Into Your Diet
View this post on Instagram
There are many ways to include the high benefits of mushrooms in your regular diet. Here are some of them:
- Mushroom Soup: Making a soup-broth out of them can also give a more nutrient-dense meal. One such popular mushroom soup recipe is the low carb mushroom soup recipe.
- Mushroom Coffee: Surprisingly, many people are putting mushroom powders or supplements to their favourite coffee to maximize the benefits of these super fungi.
- Stir-Fry Mushrooms: Stir-frying these fungi together with other nutritious vegetables such as broccoli, sweet beans, and cauliflower is an easy yet tasty way of enjoying the mushrooms.
- Food supplements: another great way to take advantage of the health benefits of mushrooms is taking suplements such as Wholesale Maitake Capsules. Having one capsule first thing in the morning with a glass of lemon water boosts its positive effect.
Mushrooms are packed with a wealth of amino acids, proteins, vitamins, antibiotics, and protects the body against illnesses and infections. They are not only healthy and nutritious but can also enhance the flavour of a dish with its creamy and earthy taste.