Last Updated on August 22, 2023
Have you wondered why every time anyone describes their travel fantasy, Switzerland is always a part of their destination? Why has Switzerland been the ultimate travel destination for any individual? No matter what age they are whether they are in their 70s or a teen who has just entered adulthood.
It must be because we all have seen Switzerland in Reel World, might be in some random reels or maybe in some Bollywood movies, and eventually have adored the scenic paradise so much that it ultimately urged us to be there at least once in our lifetime. As a Bonus point Switzerland is among one of the few destinations which can be explored easily by solo travellers with well-maintained public transport and friendly locals but though it’s a small destination it consists of a lot of places to explore which can’t be explored in a single trip, so here’s a complete Switzerland Tourism & Travel Guide if you are visiting it for the first time.
When to visit Switzerland
If you want to witness Switzerland in its real attire then the period between November to February, when the snow season is at its peak and the entire Switzerland is transformed into Wonderland gives a perfect window for anyone to explore winter activities such as Skiing and snowboarding which are incredible for having thrilling adrenaline along with exploring good old-fashioned sightseeing.
But if you are in Switzerland just to unfold your adventure side then the outdoorsy atmosphere will be best for you to explore thrilling activities such as hiking, camping, waterfall rappelling, skydiving, whitewater rafting, and mountain biking which can be encountered along with peak season for Europeans to travel which will be between May-June.
Moreover, the best time to visit Switzerland depends upon one’s likes and dislikes but no matter when you visit the destination it is going to surprise you with its Scenic paradise.
Hacks to make your trip easier in Switzerland
Every destination has loopholes using which one can make their trip easier and budget friendly, especially for solo travellers. It works just like the cherry on the cake making them unable to explore more attractions in their budget itself. Listed down are some hacks which can be used to make your Switzerland tour much simpler and easier.
- Budget plenty for the trip – Switzerland is a perfect destination with everything an individual would require to satisfy their wanderlust but to visit a place which is this perfect requires a certain flaw to encounter which is its prices but don’t worry you there are windows from where you can save money and complete the trip in your budget.
To settle your accommodation expenses you can stay in a hostel instead of a hotel, while to explore smaller and bigger towns you can use public transport and to save your money on food you can also choose accommodations with a kitchen where you can prepare food by yourself saving yourself tons of money.
- Swiss travel pass – Getting yourself a Swiss travel pass before planning your itinerary can open a gateway for a bunch of opportunities in many ways right from shaping your itinerary with saving loads of money on accommodations to having unlimited rides on buses, trains, and boats. Booking a Swiss pass may sound expensive to some individuals but it is worth every penny if you use it strategically.
- Sign up for free walking tours – In major cities such as Geneva and Zurich one can encounter free walking tours which are conducted by local volunteers with no upfront cost,infact one can tip their guide at the end of the tour depending upon their experience. These walking tours are conducted with several themes such as visiting art streets to history or just visiting different pubs or natural attractions.
- Packing Tips – To visit an elegant destination like Switzerland one must keep in mind to pack attires that are sleek and classy but at the same time one should keep in mind to make sure their tones are neutral and earthly. Also one should keep in mind to carry reusable bottles as Switzerland is the only destination with an abundance of fountains with drinkable water which can be used to refill when needed.
- Language and communication – Different parts of Switzerland use different languages but knowing basic French and English can make your trip a lot easier.
Types of Accommodation in Switzerland
TySwitzerland offer’s tons of options for accommodation to its tourists according to their Budget right from hotels and hostels to rental apartments and farm stays. Wellness and luxury resorts are also great options to explore and experience it serene at their best which can be also explored through accommodation provided by Flamingo Travels. Pvt. ltd
Recommended areas – Staying in renowned areas of Switzerland depends upon the Personal interests of individuals but Cities such as Zurich, Geneva, Interlaken, and Zermatt are cities which are must visit and cannot be missed out.
Ways of transport in Switzerland
- Getting to Switzerland – Most basic means to reach Switzerland is by air but if you want to explore other destinations of Europe along with Switzerland then catch connecting trains which run through different cities of Europe.
- Public transport – Public transport is the best means to travel within the country, no matter whatever you choose to travel let be it train, tram or bus you will get awestruck by its comfort and well-maintained services.
- Renting a Car – If you saved enough money for the trip and want to explore attractions according to your customised itinerary and want to spend time at a single attraction according to your comfort then renting a car is the best option you can go within Switzerland.
Best places to visit in Switzerland
Everyone visiting Switzerland for the first time wants to make sure that they make it to the fullest of the trip and that’s the reason they assure visiting attractions that are renowned but eventually sometimes renowned are overrated, making tourists feel unsatisfied at the end so here are few attractions which make assure that satisfy your wanderlust with each attraction you visit.
- Lucerne – A place that is renowned as the lake of concerts, where one can find a mesmerising turquoise lake surrounded by mountains, covered bridges, age-old historic buildings, and eventually a mediaeval town that is free of any pollution and vehicles. It also hosts several music festivals throughout the year making it a complete package to visit it.
- Interlaken – A beautiful city that is located between Lake Thun in the west to Lake Brienz in the east with tons of adoring resorts in the middle of the city. Moreover, it’s an urban marvel with acres of land which is home to amazing cafes,hotels, and flower gardens which add to the scenic attractions of the town.
- Jungfraujoch – An attraction that is a world heritage sight and not less than any paradise giving once in a lifetime experience to its visitors with its mesmerising train journey to Bernese Oberland and an enriching observation terrace with a scientific observatory which is located on the longest Great Aletsch Glacier. Moreover, with thrilling snow treks and the oldest Swiss resorts, it makes it a must visit attraction in the entire of Europe.
- The Matterhorn – The city of amazing resorts with its charming atmosphere which is filled with golden clouds all around at the peak of 4,478 metres during sunsets and sunrise. Horse-drawn carriage rides, quaint chalets, and world-class restaurants and hotels make the place even more peaceful and a top attraction for visitors to visit.
Food and drink in Switzerland
Swiss cuisine overview – The country’s cuisine is highly influenced by its diverse culture which often includes its neighbouring nations such as Germany, Italy, and France. Which beautifully blends with Traditional Swiss elements and creates wonderful cuisine.
Must try dishes – To know the actual taste of Swiss cuisine there are several dishes that one should not miss out on while visiting it. Such cuisines are Swiss Soups, Berner Platte, and Zürcher Geschnetzeltes which perfectly resonate with Swiss culture.
Best restaurants and local eateries – Visiting main cities such as Zurich and Geneva are incomplete without visiting their renowned business centres. While you are in Zurich, Kronenhalle, a historic restaurant, and Hilti’s oldest vegan restaurant are a must visit, similarly when you are in Geneva visiting Café du Soleil which serves Swiss cuisine in the best cosy atmosphere is a must visit. Visiting these three is a must visit to satisfy your wanderlust.
Things to do in Switzerland
- Paddleboarding – Everyone has their reason to visit Lake Geneva but paddle boarding can be your’s with a thrilling experience of standing tall using a prop to move within the calm and peaceful waves of Geneva along with having fun.
- Rhine Falls boating – While wondering what to do to boost your adrenaline in Switzerland one can visit rhine falls where they can be encountered by boat rides that take them nearby the falls giving them a platform for adventure trails. Taking the boat in the centre can give anyone a heart-trenching view with a completely different perspective of peace.
- Chillion castle – A castle housing 25 buildings and three courtyards located on the banks of lake geneva can be one of the most memorable experiences for you no matter with whom you visit it you will find yourself adored by the beauty of the historic building with utter peace and silence miles away from the urban town.
- Local wine tasting – A sip of wine and the refreshing breeze of Switzerland is all you need to recharge yourself. With tons of vineyards, one can get their hands on the best wines in the world giving them a completely otherworldly experience with its taste which is unparalleled to any other wine in the entire world
- Swiss chocolates – No matter how many times you visit this destination the craze for Swiss chocolates never fades away in fact it gets much more intense with every other flavour you get your hands on. It can be one of the best activities to end your journey in Switzerland giving it a sweet and satisfying ending.
Swiss customs and traditions
While visiting every destination their customs and traditions are one of the few things that makes the trip memorable. Traditions of Switzerland are renowned around the world such as making Swiss watches, Swiss cheese, and chocolates while customs include giving privacy utmost importance followed by greetings in four languages and Tipping wherever you visit.
To make your trip even more cherishing there are a few cultural events and celebrations that one should be a part of such as the International Film Festival Locarno, Montreux Jazz Festival, and Christmas Markets which are hosted by different cities around Switzerland
Moreover, visiting Switzerland is all about exploring a perfect blend of nature and culture, where one will be encountered by refreshing windows at every attraction which will give them a memory to remember and an urge to visit it once again. No matter with whomever you visit the destination through Switzerland Tour Packages it never gives a bitter memory but try to make it, even more, cheering with every experience.